Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Happy 20th Anniversary!!


David and I are celebrating 20 years of marriage today!!!

I honestly can't believe it has been twenty years.
This photo was taken a few months after we got married
and I moved to Hawaii.


This is my absolute favorite photo of us. It was taken
a month maybe (?) after we met. (Whew, have mercy,
those eyes still get me......)




We got married at my little home town church in Alabama.



Our 5th anniversary was spent at Community Bible Church's
 Annual Oyster Roast in Beaufort, SC;

Our 10th anniversary was spent bringing home our 6th baby, 
Tristan, from the hospital in Columbia, SC;

Our 15th anniversary was spent driving across country
on our move to Oklahoma;

Our 20th is being spent working, homeschooling 
and then serving in Awana.

What will we be doing for our 25th?
I can't even imagine.

And, in case you're wondering how it all began......


I often think, "Twenty years just isn't long enough." We are at the point now where we just "get" each other. We each know what the other is thinking. We've figured out all the little habits and nuances of each other and I just enjoy being married to him. I enjoy the comfort of knowing all about him and the fact that he knows all about me. I pray everyday that the Lord would keep us together for many, many more years.

I think love is definitely a choice, and, after you've made that choice, it is work to keep loving.

But, I tell you what, the choice to keep loving is SO WORTH IT.

So many people enter into marriage expecting the other person to make them happy. And, expecting to selfishly get from the relationship instead of give. If that's what you think, I'll tell you right now,

YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY. YOU WILL LOOK FOR A WAY OUT.

People are human. They disappoint. They are frustrating and difficult. You can't control another person, but you CAN CONTROL YOURSELF.

You can choose to love and serve your husband and you can choose to be happy about it.

Now, I'm not saying you have to be stuck in a miserable marriage and just be happy about it and endure it. I'm saying, if you are in a miserable marriage, have you considered why? Have you considered the reason you aren't happy is because of you, not him?

You control how your react when your husband does something to frustrate you. You control how you react in an argument. You control expectations. Especially unrealistic ones.

Get control over yourself and you just may find that your husband makes you happy after all!

Some things that I choose to love about my husband..........

He can be gruff, but has a tender heart.

He is a protector. He is a supporter.


He is generous. Very generous.

He will try and make me laugh when I am stressed.

He has different interests than I have.

He enjoys talking to people. Anytime. Anywhere.


There are many, many more things that I love and appreciate about David. And in spite of all of my failings and disappointments, I know that he loves and appreciates me, too.

7 comments:

A Dusty Frame said...

Happy Anniversary :)

Courtney said...

Thank you!

Wendy said...

Happy belated Anniversary! You both look so young - still! Todd and I were old when we got married. LOL

Courtney said...

Thank you! LOL Wendy, you still aren't old! I was 19 and David was 22.

Wendy said...

Aww, thanks, Courtney! We were 23 and 24 when we got married.

Kathleen said...

Thought I would stop by too even if I am a couple months late! Congratulations on your 20 years! We will be 20 years in July. Great words of wisdom about marriage...if only so many others would take these words to heart - that love is a choice, that it's work, that it's TOTALLY worth it - there wouldn't be so many broken people out there. Anyway, nice to be in touch again. Here's to the next 5 years, then 10, then 20!

.. said...

Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via;
(agbazara@gmail.com) or call him on (+2348104102662).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...